Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cooking

I have been baking almost all day...

I have made the most amazing chocolate chip cookies I've ever had, pumpkin bread, and banana bread. I'm not really sure why...the cookies were worth it but I don't feel like eating the rest.

I'm such a dork.

Kristin was baking across the hall, too. We bake "together" but not really together; it's fun. She's like me and has a super-stocked kitchen (Seriously, we may be considered "hoarders" by the government!!)...however she has something I don't have much of: spices! Well, when it came to the part of my pumpkin bread recipe where I add in a teaspoon of this spice, and a teaspoon of that spice, there I stood in front of my spice cupboard on my tippy-toes wondering what the heck I was going to do. I stood with a giant jar of ground cinnamon in one hand, allspice and pumpkin pie spice in the other. I pondered. And then grabbed my 1/2 teaspoon and 1/4 teaspoon and walked the 5 feet to Kristin's. I knew she'd be there for me, as always. She "borrowed" me the necessary nutmeg and clove and I went back the 5 feet to my apartment. I turned the knob. Locked. Balancing two measuring spoons full of spices in one hand, I tried to "coach" my mischievous little daughter through unlocking the door she had just locked. Needless to say, she did figure it out and let me in. Sheeesh....I think I'll be giving Kristin a spare key. I know I'll need it again.

In other news, I started my "Project 365" yesterday and well...I'm out of ideas. What the heck?? I took two photos this morning, both of which I like but they don't have the feel I'd like and don't describe the day I've had. We'll see...

Anyhoo....Would you like to make amazing chocolate chip cookies, too?? Here is the recipe:

Ingredients~

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions~

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.
Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy.
Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted.
Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

They're SO tasty. Mine turned out huge but that's okay. The edges are nice and crisp while the insides are soft and chewy. This is def. my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Yay!

No comments: